The new Faceware Software Development Kit extends the ability to use real-time, markerless face tracking in media and entertainment projects.
Faceware Technologies today announces a software development kit (SDK) for its real-time facial motion capture (mocap) and animation technology, Faceware Live. The company says its Windows Native C++ SDK will enable developers and creatives to build their own real-time, interactive applications. Potential applications for the Faceware SDK include live player-to-player chat in games, live interactive displays and activations, and the integration of facial mocap into production tools and processes.
The company’s Faceware Facial Motion Capture product line has been utilized in the production of hundreds of video game titles, feature films, music videos, commercials, television shows, and stage plays. Companies and studios using it include Double Negative, Digital Domain, Blur Studios, Activision-Blizzard, Rockstar Games, Microsoft, 2K Sports, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, Bethesda, Motion Theory, and Moving Picture Company.
Faceware’s product consists of the Faceware GoPro and Pro HD Headcam and Tripod Capture Systems; Faceware Analyzer, which allows clients to analyze and process their own performance videos; Faceware Retargeter, an Autodesk plugin which allows users to create facial motion capture data at a much faster rate than traditional methods; and Faceware Live, the real-time facial capture and animation solution. www.facewaretech.com
Features of the new SDK include:
- Windows Native C++
- High-frame-rate tracking, with no visible latency
- Over 100 APIs developers can use to track and animate faces in real time
- Create facial animation in real time from a person’s face on video
- Tracks 82 landmarks on the face and streams over 40 animation controls
- One-second camera-to-face calibration
- SDK can track facial movement from a live camera feed, a video file (e.g .mov file), or an image sequence (e.g. .jpg)
- Works with almost any camera or webcam, including head-mounted cameras
- Easy to adjust camera settings for optimizing the user experience
- Tools to multiply and adjust animation output values to match your characters
- Simulate animation output for easy debugging and testing your character animation before use.
What do we think?
Faceware has been growing rapidly, with a burst of interest coming when the company shipped real-time mocap processing. Now with the increased use of virtual reality and interactive marketing there will be increased use of motion capture. Faceware was talking to customers one at a time about adapting its technology, but realized they needed to make it easier for developers and creatives to create their own real-time mocap utilities.