New 4K premium tiled textures with slight imperfections add realism to surfaces.
Maxon has added 50-plus 4K premium tiled textures to its Maxon Capsules collection. The new textures are designed to bring photorealism to artist renderings by adding minor imperfections to the surfaces of 3D objects.
The greyscale maps feature a mix of scratches, dust specs, smudges, fingerprints, hairs, residue, isolated fingerprints—all of which are scanned from actual surfaces and then seamlessly tiled. As a result, renders have an unprecedented level of realism that previously could only be achieved with an extensive and expensive process.
The Surface Imperfections Volume 1 texture library was created by David Gruwier and is licensed by Maxon for royalty-free use by Cinema 4D and Maxon One subscribers. Uses for some of the tiled textures include:
- Glossiness or anisotropy maps to add realistic surface imperfections to reflective surfaces such as glass, metal, and plastic.
- Bump mapsfor realistic micro-scratches, for creating subtle impurities in materials like plastic, paint ,and more.
- Extra detail on windows, monitors, mirrors, and other reflective surfaces that require that extra glint of realism.
- Texture painting stamps and brushes source material.
- Masks for layered materials and procedural shaders.
- Overlays on lens flares and glare in compositing, emulating dirty lenses or camera housing.
- Mix with plain colors in your materials to break them up and add variation, as no surface color is perfect.