The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced its newly elected 2023–2024 Board of Governors. The governors will take office at the first scheduled board meeting of the new term. The board is responsible for directing the Academy’s strategic vision, preserving the organization’s financial health, and assuring the fulfillment of its mission.
The Academy’s 18 branches are each represented by three governors. The recently-established Production and Technology Branch is, however, represented by a single governor. Governors and the board-appointed governors-at-large may serve up to two three-year terms (consecutive or non-consecutive), followed by a two-year hiatus, after which eligibility renews for up to two additional three-year terms for a lifetime maximum of 12 years.
This year, six governors have been re-elected to the board, 11 governors have been elected for the first time, and Ellen Kuras is returning to the board as governor of the Cinematographers Branch after a hiatus.
Incumbent governors re-elected to the Board include:
- Rob Bredow, Visual Effects Branch
- Ava DuVernay, Directors Branch
- Linda Flowers, Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Branch
- Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers Branch
- Stephen Rivkin, Film Editors Branch
- Debra Zane, Casting Directors Branch
First-time elected governors to the board are:
- Wendy Aylsworth, Production and Technology Branch
- David I. Dinerstein, Marketing and Public Relations Branch
- Richard Gibbs, Music Branch
- Jinko Gotoh, Short Films and Feature Animation Branch
- Kalina Ivanov, Production Design Branch
- Simon Kilmurry, Documentary Branch
- Hannah Minghella, Executives Branch
- Daniel Orlandi, Costume Designers Branch
- Lou Diamond Phillips, Actors Branch
- Dana Stevens, Writers Branch
- Mark P. Stoeckinger, Sound Branch
They will join returning governors Pam Abdy, Bonnie Arnold, Lesley Barber, Dion Beebe, Howard Berger, Susanne Bier, Jason Blum, Gary C. Bourgeois, Brooke Breton, Paul Cameron, Ruth E. Carter, Eduardo Castro, Megan Colligan, Bill Corso, Paul Debevec, Peter Devlin, Tom Duffield, Charles Fox, DeVon Franklin, Rodrigo García, Donna Gigliotti, Chris Hegedus, Richard Hicks, Laura C. Kim, Marlee Matlin, Missy Parker, Jason Reitman, Nancy Richardson, Howard A. Rodman, Eric Roth, Terilyn A. Shropshire, Kim Taylor-Coleman, Jennifer Todd, Jean Tsien, Marlon West, Rita Wilson, and Janet Yang.
The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences now comprises 53% women; 25% belong to an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
For the current 2022–2023 Academy governors, click here.