Intelligent modeling is no longer just for large construction projects.
The new release of Envisioneer from Cadsoft improves the ability to use building information modeling (BIM) in residential and light commercial design. Unlike other products aimed at the residential and light commercial market, Envisioneer is purpose-built as a BIM solution.
Key features in Version 11, now available, include:
- Enhanced functionality to the Object Wizard that imports dwg,dxf,skp,3ds files and enables users to slice a 2D depiction of the block and orientate it.
- New automatic datum lines on elevations and sections with definable linetypes, text and a customizable datum block symbol.
- Cut/Copy/Paste functionality in the worksheet environment and to and from AutoCad™
- New integration features with REScheck, Sketchfab, BuilderTREND and UDA Construction Suite.
- Hands free automated licensing for seamless online authorization.
- Enhanced wood and steel framing capabilities including increased header positioning options and multiple sill plate insertions.
A complete list of new features can be found at http://www.cadsoft.com/products/Env11.php .
What do we think?
Most businesses in the business of designing and building residential and light commercial projects are small firms. For years they have looked at the BIM offerings from the major vendors like Autodesk, Bentley, and Nemetschek and decided the high price and high learning curve was not for them. Now vendors like Cadsoft are finding a ready market with right-sized BIM solutions. Improved support for SketchUp in this release will be an especially welcome feature, given the high use of SketchUp as a construction detailing solution in companies of all sizes.