The open source PLM vendor has a new cloud-based file exchange system, updated support for Microsoft enterprise platform technology, and a variety of CAD-focused enhancements.
Aras has released a major update to its Innovator PLM platform which includes a variety of CAD-focused enhancements. Additional new features include enabling of a new cloud-based file exchange, updated support for Microsoft platform technology, and a variety of performance, scalability, and usability enhancements.
As an open source software vendor, Aras distributes Innovator as a free download with no usage restrictions, ready to use out of the box. The company then provides training, customization, and related services. Named customers include Motorola, Freudenberg, GE, Hitachi, Lockheed Martin, Textron, and TEVA Pharmaceuticals. Aras recently expanded its headquarters in upscale Andover, Massachusetts due to steady growth.
As a PLM vendor that does not also sell a CAD system, Aras must support all CAD systems equally. In this release, Aras claims Innovator achieves a 10x increase in speed and a 10x reduction in memory usage for multi-CAD check-in and check-out. New capabilities in the check-in/check-out manager streamline the use of CAD assemblies, and a new metadata commit process uses a parallel asynchronous file check-in system for each level of the CAD structure.
A new managed file transfer (MFT) service called TRUaras is also included in this update. The service is embedded inside Innovator by Trubiquity, a provider of secure cloud-based MFT services. TRUaras users can securely share and exchange large CAD assemblies, technical data packages, manufacturing data, inspection and test results and other intellectual property with full tracking and traceability. Included in every Aras download, TRUaras is a free service for companies that run Aras which provides unlimited transactions with no file size limitation.
The new release of Innovator also updates support for Microsoft enterprise platform services. Aras Innovator is now enabled on Microsoft SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10.
Additional new features:
• Silent installer for virtual machines, server farms and cloud environments
• Check-in / Check-out Manager automated conflict detection
• Feature activation for easy evaluation and enablement of new applications
• Multi-language installer capabilities
• New user personalization and configuration capabilities
• Drag & drop files from browser to Windows folders
• Expanded multi-level table of contents navigation
• Improved one-click Excel and Word data export
• Affected items impact matrix improvements
• New visual indicators in the grid display
• Ability to execute multiple “onSearchDialog” events
• OnBefore / OnAfter passthrough Capabilities
• API XML / AML Compression